Located in the Winter Palace of Prince Eugene in Himmelpfortgasse, Vienna, the offices of the Ministry of Finance have a long tradition. Built in 1697 according to the plans of the well-known baroque architect Fischer von Erlach, the palace was acquired by Maria Theresia in 1752 along with the Belvedere. After a few modifications it initially housed the head offices of the Austrian Mint and Mining Authority and, starting in 1848, the Imperial and Royal Ministry of Finance.
Since the previous renovation of these magnificent premises took place in the period from 1967 to 1973, a general renovation of the building was necessary and was carried out in the past six years. In June 2013, the central management of the Federal Ministry of Finance was once again able to occupy their offices in the historic buildings located between Johannesgasse and Himmelspfortgasse in the 1st district of Vienna.