Tax Book 2017 Tips for employee tax assessment 2016 for wage tax payers 

You could receive a refund from your employee assessment. Use it, for example, as extra money for a vacation or household needs. Many tax payers are still not collecting their money from the Ministry of Finance, even though it is easy to get a refund if you have paid too much tax. 

The Tax Book has all the information you need

The Austrian tax authorities offer an easy-to-use Tax Book each year as a source of important tips and information on employee assessments and answers to frequently asked tax questions. The newly updated and printed version of the Tax Book is available in tax offices, and can also be read as an e-book on the Austrian Ministry of Finance website, downloaded free of charge or ordered as a print publication.

Learn how to receive money back from the tax office. The Austrian tax system offers many opportunities for deducting expenses and writing off costs.

What can be deducted from taxes?

Special expenses (e.g. voluntary health, accident and pension insurance, church tax, residential renovations), extraordinary charges (e.g. healthcare costs and childcare expenses) and income-related expenses (e.g. computers, training and advanced training, retraining, expenses for business-related telephone calls, work clothing, work supplies and tools) are deductible under certain conditions. 

Many employees fail to make use of these deductions, either because they forget or are not informed. Keep this in mind, and collect receipts for all eligible expenses during the calendar year. Make sure you store the receipts, as you will have to present them if requested by the authorities.

How can I take advantage of my tax benefits?

You can submit an application for employee assessment once your income and expenses for the previous calendar year have been determined. Your employer must send your payslips for the previous year to the tax office by the end of February of the following year. Tax office employees can process your application once this is done. Submit Form L1 (Form L1k in connection with children) online at or by post to the tax office applicable for your area of residence, or submit it directly to your tax office. 

First-hand information

Information on employee assessments is available in the Tax Book that is issued each year. An overview of frequently asked questions about FinanzOnline is provided in our brochure “FinanzOnline – Click for a Refund” ( in German only). All our publications can be downloaded from the Ministry of Finance website at, or ordered free of charge.

Tax office employees are also available to answer your questions in person at your local tax office or by telephone at +43 (0) 50 233 233 Monday to Thursday from 7:30 to 15:30, and Friday from 7:30 to 12:00.

The Ministry of Finance offers a Citizen Service line at +43 (0) 50 233 765 Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 17:00, or by email at The FinanzOnline hotline is also available for questions about FinanzOnline at +43 (0) 50 233 790 Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 17:00.